What is the best way to determine the size and number of boxes I need?
The sizes of boxes you’ll need is entirely dependent on the items you pack. There are a number of specialty boxes available for specific items, such as wardrobe boxes and picture boxes. Keep in mind that packing large boxes with many heavy items can make them difficult to lift.
A rule of thumb for determining the number of boxes depends on the square footage of your home. The general guidelines are as follows:
- Less than 500 sq ft: 3-12 large boxes, 8-15 medium boxes, 12-18 small boxes
- 500-999 sq ft: 5-15 large boxes, 10- 20 medium boxes, 15-25 small boxes
- 1,000-1,499 sq ft: 10-20 large boxes, 15-25 medium boxes, 20-30 small boxes
- 1,500-1,999 sq ft: 15-25 large boxes, 20-30 medium boxes, 30-40 small boxes
- Over 2,000 sq ft: 20-30 large boxes, 25-35 medium boxes, 40-50 small boxes
October 13, 2017