Complete Packing Checklist
Packing is one of the most stressful things about moving
, but it can also offer you an opportunity to declutter and get rid of some of the items you no longer need. Getting rid of clutter will help create space for new memories and new items in your next home.
When packing for a move, the best way to get started is to first gather all of the moving supplies that you need and then begin packing one room at a time until you are finished.
Tips for Easier Packing
The key to making your life easier when packing is to stay organized. You can organize your items based on their room use, common function, or other factors to help you keep track of your items and make it easier to unpack once you arrive at your new home.
- Start the packing process by downsizing. Go through your items and determine what you need and get rid of any items that you don’t. This will prevent you from packing, moving, and unpacking unnecessary clutter.
- Pack the hard rooms first, then work your way down the house.
- Label each box according to the room the items belong in and the contents of the box.
- Pack similar items together. Pack your box by first layering newspaper, bubble wrap, or towels at the bottom of the box and then place the heaviest items first.
- If your packed boxes are not filled to the top, be sure tp put in paper or bubble wrap to fill to the top. If the boxes are not filled with something they cannot be stacked because they could be crushed by the box on top.
Must-Have Moving Supplies
Packing and Moving Boxes
You can ask friends or family if they have any empty boxes lying around that you can use. You can also purchase boxes at your local stores such as Walmart. Be sure to purchase boxes in a variety of sizes to suit different items.
This will help protect your fragile items during the move, and it can be purchased at most office supply or department stores.
Rent a Dolly
Carrying boxes can be exhausting and can lead to them being dropped or damaged. By renting a dolly, you can help make moving boxes easier and safer.
Other supplies to consider purchasing include:
- Plastic wrap
- Packing peanuts
- Packing tape
- Knives to open sealed boxes
- Moving blankets or towels for cushioning
It is also helpful to have an inventory of items that you plan to pack and take with you. This is an easy way to organize your items. Make sure to keep all important documents you may need during the move organized in a folder for easy access. Another helpful trick is to pack a bag with extra clothes, toys for the children, or basic pet supplies to keep everyone happy over the course of the move. You will also want to keep any special medication handy. For more tips read our ultimate guide to moving
Ready to Move? Gardner Moving has you covered!
If you are ready to move and want to leave the heavy lifting to the pros, Gardner Moving
is your number one choice for moving services in Pittsburgh. Contact us today to learn more!
Latest posts by Michael Gardner (see all)
August 14, 2020